Author
Historical and old photos of Tweed Heads, New South Wales

 

Main page • Countries of Oceania • Cities of Australia

Historical and old photos of Tweed Heads, New South Wales in photos

A small historical reference

Geography: Tweed Heads located on the Tweed River in north-eastern New South Wales, Australia, in Tweed Shire. Tweed Heads is located next to the border with Queensland, adjacent to its "Twin Town" of Coolangatta, which is a suburb of the Gold Coast. It is often referred to as a town where people can change time zones even celebrate New Year twice within an hour simply by crossing the street, due to its proximity to the Queensland border, and the fact that New South Wales observes daylight saving whereas Queensland does not. (Wiki)

Date of foundation: 1844

History: Timber cutters originally moved to the Tweed Valley in 1844. After the timber had been cleared, farmers moved in with bananas, cane and dairy farming dominating the area, while a fishing industry developed. The first school opened in 1871.

Tweed Heads was once connected to the Queensland Railways system, with the South Coast line providing a direct connection to Brisbane. The railway opened on 10 August 1903 It had been hoped that the New South Wales government would extend their railway line from Murwillumbah to Tweed Heads, but this did not occur due to cost of resuming the land and the expenses associated with the tunnel and bridge that would be required. The Tweed Heads railway station was located on the western side of Enid Street between Bay Street and Frances Street. The railway line to Brisbane closed in 1961; the site of the station has been converted to parklands and commercial development.

Population: 7 525

Tweed Heads. Bay Street and railway, 1909
Bay Street and railway, 1909
Tweed Heads. Boyd's Bay, 1932
Boyd's Bay, 1932
Tweed Heads. Boyd's Bay Bridge, circa 1950
Boyd's Bay Bridge, circa 1950
Tweed Heads. Boyd's Bay Bridge, Murwillumbah, view of the Tweed River
Boyd's Bay Bridge, Murwillumbah, view of the Tweed River
Tweed Heads. Boarding house 'Mon Repos', 1906
Boarding house 'Mon Repos', 1906
Cobaki Bridge at Tweed Heads, 1926
Cobaki Bridge at Tweed Heads, 1926
Tweed Heads. Coolangatta and Tweed Heads from Point Danger, 1949
Coolangatta and Tweed Heads from Point Danger, 1949
Tweed Heads. Customs House, 1902
Customs House, 1902
Tweed Heads. 'Greenmount', Mrs P. Fagan at hill and camping at valley, 1911
'Greenmount', Mrs P. Fagan at hill and camping at valley, 1911
Tweed Heads. 'Greenmount', Mrs P. Fagan, Proprietress, 1907
'Greenmount', Mrs P. Fagan, Proprietress, 1907
Holiday makers arriving in Tweed Heads and Pacific Hotel, 1911
Holiday makers arriving in Tweed Heads and Pacific Hotel, 1911
Tweed Heads. Opening ceremony for the Coolangatta Methodist Church, 1923
Opening ceremony for the Coolangatta Methodist Church, 1923
Panorama of Tweed Heads, 1911
Panorama of Tweed Heads, 1911
Panorama of Tweed Heads, between 1910 and 1962
Panorama of Tweed Heads, between 1910 and 1962
Tweed Heads. Post and Telegraph Office, circa 1890
Post and Telegraph Office, circa 1890
Tweed Heads. Railway Station, 1911
Railway Station, 1911
Tweed Heads from Old Custom House, 1904
Tweed Heads from Old Custom House, 1904
Tweed Heads township, 1932
Tweed Heads township, 1932
Tweed Heads. Tweed Street, 1928
Tweed Street, 1928
Tweed Heads. Tweed Street showing Observatory Hill
Tweed Street showing Observatory Hill
View of Tweed Heads from the Tweed River, 1907
View of Tweed Heads from the Tweed River, 1907
Tweed Heads. W. Connah's boot shop in Wharf Street
W. Connah's boot shop in Wharf Street
Tweed Heads. Wells Hotel, 1927
Wells Hotel, 1927
Tweed Heads. Wharf Street, 1927
Wharf Street, 1927




Photos posted on the website in accordance with Article 7, paragraph 1 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works of 9 September 1886, the term of protection which is fifty years after the author's death.

After this period photos it becomes public domain. The participants of the Berne Convention are 167 States.


Robinson Rd, CB 13862 Nassau, NP, The Bahamas
Flag Counter